The wisest person that you will find in your home is your elders. They make decisions and perform other responsible duties. But what if they stop taking care of you and go into a mental state that is not favorable. How will you come to know that they are experiencing a mental illness or something? Yes as they grow older they can show signs of older age but mental illness is a different thing.
MyAARPMedicare is an organization which takes care of those elders and they have a perfect set of packages for the elderly people. So it is advised to first have a look at their services and if you find some kind of mental illness in your elders then you can reach out to the nearest medical facility.
Severe Cognitive Impairment or Dementia is the is the most common mental health issue that faced by more than 5 million adults that are more than 65 years ago as described by Alzheimer’s Association. There are various symptoms that are so common among elders like depression and other mood disorders. These symptoms often go unnoticed and undiagnosed as they do not take care of themselves and often are found to help other younger generations.
Symptoms of Mental Health Illness in Adults
Seniors or old adults are likely to report these symptoms more than anyone else. Emotional and Physical stress, anxiety and depression are common among these adults. Change in behavior or other symptoms if found in adults could lead to more serious concerns. If you find these symptoms in adults then you have to straightaway consult a doctor and get medical help.
- Change of environment
- Medication interactions
- Physical illnesses that can affect emotion, memory, and mind
- Dementia causing illness
- Long-term illness
- Physical disability
- Illness or loss of a loved one
- Poor diet or malnutrition
- Alcohol or substance abuse
Symptoms of Mental Illness
As the person grows older it is obvious that he or she may develop some changes in the behavior. Forgetfulness or memory loss is one big thing to be taken care of and it may be a serious concern. Following signs are to be taken care of and should keep an eye on the person.
- The person may change his full appearance and encounter problem in doing his daily chores.
- He may experience a total or a partial confusion with the problem in concentrating on objects or making straight decisions.
- The person’s appetite may increase or decrease suddenly.
- They may experience a state of mental confusion with depression which could last for more than 2 weeks.
- The person may feel worthless, guilt, helplessness and even think of committing suicide.
- Short term memory loss are common.
- Constipation and aches in the body.
- He may experience trouble in working in finances and numbers.
- He may have a lot of fatigue and energy loss and may sleep a lot or a total loss of sleep.
You can find several of the symptoms like above mentioned and do not hesitate to seek medical help in any of the above cases. Many of the professionals are out there who are eagerly willing to help which can also be your family doctor also. A counselor or a psychologist is the best place to start medical advice. The most important part, in this case, is to take the necessary action as more of the elders do not tell their condition and they bear themselves without telling to anyone.
You have to take care of them and find out what is the problem going on with them. With the efforts of the caregivers and family, this mental illness can be treated without any further deterioration of the condition.
So the above illness conditions are serious and should be eagerly taken care of. In case you have anyone in your near touch who are feeling the same you must visit him and make him understand the necessary medical treatment. In case you want to share some of your experiences you can share with us by commenting in the comments section below.